Monday 1 July 2013

Jersey Registration Card Day One and concerns about Volunteering


Today is Jersey Registration Card Day One.
Or as the JEP more correctly describes it;
“A major new crackdown on people living and working illegally begins today in the biggest shake-up of immigration controls in a generation.”

So we are being ushered down to the Social Security aka SS Offices in La Motte Street to volunteer for prosecution under the welcoming “BENEFIT THIEVES LET’S STOP THEM” poster.

I called in at about 2pm today and found the extraordinary spectacle of no claimants or mystified members of the public at all queuing - but behind the front desk saw more grinning staff faces than a toothpaste advert on American TV.

What on earth was going on I wondered when I was beckoned over with a cheery wave – can this really be the same place that normally confronts enquirers with a barrage of empty chairs and just a few “I dare you” stares….?

Do you have any printed information? I asked.
Yes, what language would you prefer, English, Portuguese or Polish….Have you been busy? Yes and we have even had several lawyers in checking to see that we are doing things properly too…
Would anybody be prepared to give me an interview on video for my blog(s) I asked?
Leave your details and we will ‘phone back….

Whilst there, I called into the Work Zone to enquire about “Volunteering”.
Not for myself but we have received several “complaints” about things going wrong for volunteers who have been injured or incurred expense when giving their time for free.
Is there a written “Code of Standards” we wanted to know that protects the volunteers and the people they are helping?…
…after several onward referrals and a return to the front desk the verbal information was that…

In a word the answer is NO.

This is something that volunteers must sort out for themselves with the organisation or business that they have volunteered to work with.

Which seems a bit vague because the SS Department is very actively promoting voluntary, unpaid work for those out of work and these people can be school leavers (with little or no experience of the wicked world) or mature persons with very little money to spare and disabilities to contend with.

There seems to be an official reliance on “Registered Charities” and employers to act ethically but since there is no such thing as a “Register” in Jersey the whole system seems to be the usual, untested “Jersey way” of operating…and we are especially concerned that vulnerable people (either as volunteer helpers or those being helped) are adequately checked out and validated.

We shall of course be writing to Minister Le Gresley for clarification on these issues (assuming that the ‘phone remains silent re an interview) but we did also call in at the JACS office (behind the Ann Summers shop) to see what Employment or Social Security Tribunals are currently imminent.

In fact there has not been a Social Security Tribunal for months and none is planned which does surprise us at SSTAG since so many claimants complain to us about the treatment they receive at the SS office. What happens to all these unhappy people?

We did note that there is an Employment Tribunal scheduled for this Thursday according to the official note pinned to the external door…we have also learned through the grapevine that the electronic notification of such hearings might actually become a reality in the near future because an extra member of staff is being recruited!!!

Perhaps the official Jersey Delegation to China will be able to resource a cheap IT programme to help this come to fruition even sooner?

As always, we welcome any comments or information especially from users of the SS, Health or Housing Department systems.
Good or bad do tell us how you find the standards of service provided.


7 comments:

  1. 1) You are right that Soc Sec "is very actively promoting voluntary, unpaid work for those out of work". I have now been registered as ASW for more than a year. After my first few months of registering, I was assigned a 'Job Coach' who was clearly under instructions from above to sign me up for 'Advance Plus'. It was marketed to me as 'training' and that places on the courses were very limited so I should not delay in signing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2) I was very quickly e-mailed an Advance Plus application form (note that they couldn't even offer me a paper copy so I was expected to print it out at my own expense!). I was curious so I went home and googled for more information and discovered that it would last for 10 weeks and I would have to work for an employer FOR FREE for a month. Having experienced the old welfare system over the past several decades where I was often forced to sweep the roads in order to keep receiving welfare payments, there was no way I was going to enrol on a work-for-benefits scheme again. I've been through all that and consider it illegal and I will not do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3) Furthermore, the 'training' would have been pointless in my case as I already have extensive experience in most of the subject areas covered by Advance Plus (e.g. retail, administration, finance) and I have no desire to retrain for other industries that are covered (e.g. care or construction. If I already have the necessary skills and experience to work in these industries, why would I offer my services for free to employers who have turned me down in the past for paid work? Moreover, I was never at any point given a list of which employers were enrolled on the scheme. I would have insisted on this before agreeing to sign up and I would also have wanted assurances as to my right to refuse to work for a particular employer on the scheme without incurring benefit sanctions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4) I can honestly say that other than the verbal sales spiel by the Job Coach and the information I found about Advance Plus through my own research on the web, I got no satisfactory answers to these questions and no literature was offered to me. As a result, I never actually signed and returned the application form. However, this made little difference as my Job Coach must have already passed on my contact details without my consent because I soon received an e-mail from a member of the Advance Plus staff informing me that he had read my CV and noticed a particular skill that I had which matched the requirements of an employer who was currently recruiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5) I never responded to that e-mail because I had already decided in principal not to sign up for Advance Plus. However, it is intriguing that the Advance Plus staff member who e-mailed me was interested in me because of a particular skill I had, yet the scheme is supposed to train you to acquire new skills. If this employer had been offering a paid contract of employment, I might have been interested, but the contact came through Advance Plus, so I have to presume that I would have been expected to work for this employer for free for a month without any guarantee of an offer of employment at the end of it, despite having a particular skill (very hard to come by amongst Jersey qualified residents) which that employer was searching for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6) Needless to say my Job Coach was very unhappy with me when I finally had to admit to her that I was not willing to sign up for Advance Plus. Nevertheless it did not stop her from trying to pressure me to sign up for it just a few months later. Now I have completed a year’s employment, which would qualify me for the new Employment Grant Scheme, which, unlike Advance Plus, actually gets you a real job and off the unemployment statistics. I have a new Job Coach and have mentioned my initial interest in the Employment Grant Scheme twice as I would like to know in the first instance which employers are signed up for it. Would you believe it? I have had no positive response from this coach. I know another claimant who has also been unemployed for more than a year and she has also not even been informed about the existence of the Employment Grants Scheme. It seems pretty clear that Job Coaches are under instructions NOT to promote the EGS, which I believe has been operating for more than a year now. Yet they are ARE under instructions to go hell for leather to get claimants onto one of the various work-for-benefits schemes. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Correction- In part 6 above, it should read: "Now I have completed a year’s UNemployment" - not "employment".

    ReplyDelete